November 20, 2014
In 1996 the Howe Sound Round Table on environment, economic & social sustainability produced a report entitled Howe Sound 2020 The report was a call to action and the result of two years of public forums and community consultations. Over and over the Round Table heard there was a need to establish a Watershed-wide perspective for Howe Sound and a need to coordinate activities both at the government level and the community level.
In 2000, leaders of communities around Howe Sound realized the need for regular meetings in order to share information about the Howe Sound community. Recognizing with 9 local governments, 3 Regional Districts, 2 Provincial districts and the Federal Government govern on unceded Squamish Nation Territory, the representatives came together and developed the HSCF Principles for Cooperation 2002.
From 2002 to 2013 Councils have turned over and Howe Sound has been in an environmental recovery with the closure and upgrades of major industrial operations, but the threat of a new aggregate mine in Howe Sound brought the communities together again and the Principles of Cooperation 2013 were updated and renewed by the current representatives.
In April 2013 our Society brought together stakeholders and First Nations to discuss our common values for Howe Sound and what is important for planning going forward. This was the start of many subsequent forums that are moving the planning goal forward. Since that time the Society has been involved in working with many other groups and communities to host an ongoing series of forums for advancing understanding and dialogue.
- Howe Sound Community Forums Defined
- Howe Sound Community Values
- Future of Howe Sound Forum – April 2013
- Forum Outcomes – The Community Speaks
- MP Offers Support – July 2013
- Communities Resolve for Planning – September 2013
- Howe Sound Community Forum – December 2013
- Howe Sound Community Forum – January 14, 2014
- Emerging Opportunity for Howe Sound
- Howe Sound Aquatic Forum – April 2014
- Howe Sound Community Forum – May 2, 2014
- Planning takes a Leap Forward – October, 2014
- Suzuki Foundation publishes Howe Sound Ecosystems report – March 2015
- Howe Sound Science and Knowledge Workshop – March, 2015
- Howe Sound Community Forum returns to Bowen Island– May 1, 2015
- Fall 2015 Howe Sound Community Forum Review – October 16, 2015
- Spring 2016 Howe Sound Community Forum at Camp Fircom Gambier Island – April 29, 2016
- June 2016 – Howe Sound Socio-Economic Knowledge Workshop – June 17, 2016
- Fall 2016 Howe Sound Community Forum Review – October 20, 2016
- OceanWatch Report – Howe Sound Edition – February, 2017