February 28, 2015
Wading through more than 12,000 pages of information to understand the complexity of mitigating risks and hazards is a lot to ask of the public. The opportunity to state what concerns you about the Liquified Natural Gas processing and export facility (Woodfibre LNG), and the gas pipeline expansion (Fortis BC – Eagle Mountain Pipeline) project does not require you to have a technical background. If you care for Howe Sound now is the time to express your concerns, or risk silence as being consent for a project that will affect the future of Howe Sound.
Here is what you can do:
1. Ask the BC Environmental Assessment Office to allow for the maximum amount of time for public comment. Email Michael.Shepard@gov.bc.ca; Woodfibre@ceaa-acee.gc.ca; Sunshine Coast MLA Nicholas Simons has tried on behalf of his constituents.
2. View the District of Squamish’s Community Committee report which presents areas of most concern about the Woodfibre LNG project.
4. Not sure where to look in the documents about what concerns you? Email us and we can help direct you.
5. Simply sign a petition or declaration.
6. Visit Woodfibre LNG or Fortis BC at their community office in downtown Squamish.
7. Learn more about why Councils from communities of Bowen Island, West Vancouver, Lions Bay, Islands Trust, the Gambier Island Local Trust Committee, Galiano Island Parks & Recreation Commission, Gibsons, Regional District of Powell River, Sunshine Coast Regional District have expressed their concern about the proposed Woodfibre LNG and the associated tanker traffic in the waters of Howe Sound.
8. Attend the BC Hydro – Upcoming Open Houses (3) to learn and comment on the requirements and impact of supplying energy to this project. To learn more about this project visit the project information page.
9. The District of Squamish invites the Squamish community to help inform Council’s official response to the Environmental Assessment Office on Woodfibre LNG and the Fortis Pipeline. Between March 9th and 23rd, if you live, work or own a business in Squamish, join in and share your thoughts.